[texworks] Document Version-ing and synctex Previewing

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Jun 22 01:26:41 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Paul A Norman <paul.a.norman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I'm very interested in the one, Bazaa,  that Alain Delmotte has turned up
> for no other reason than it apparently allows varying degrees of
>  integration into the other version control  systems mentioned recently here
> (which I have used in the past) as welll.
>
> Looks like it is nicely .py and truly natively cross platform.
>
> And it really is major with Canonical, yet is stand a lone personnel wise.
> I mean really major with Canonical !
>
> What do others think? ANy experience with Bazaar?
>
> Paul

When choosing a version control system for a project, the first thing I
think about is off-site hosting for a central repository since it is nice to
always have access to a clone of the work no matter where I am and a backup
no matter what happens at home. Documents and research papers are
interesting in that some of them are likely to be private or
access-restricted while others may be shared with others. Most repository
hosts provide free accounts upon the condition that they be used to store
material that is publicly available under open-source licenses and then make
their money by charging for private repositories.
Bitbucket<http://www.bitbucket.org>,
which works with Mercurial <http://mercurial.selenic.com/>, is interesting
in that it allows unlimited private repositories and charges based on the
size of the team that has access to those private repos.

If you like Python, Mercurial is also written in Python and used to manage
the source code of Python its self.  I have not used Bazaar for any personal
projects, but to me the major selling point seems to be
Launchpad<http://www.launchpad.net>which not only hosts repositories,
but automatically builds and Linux
packages and makes them available to package managers like apt.

Of course, if you are comfortable setting up your own server to host a
central repository it doesn't really matter which VCS you choose---go for
the one that tickles your fancy.  As long as the system you choose has
support for dumping data to the 'git-fast-export' format, it will be easy to
move projects to another system if you change your mind later.

-Charlie