[texworks] line numbers Merge and text disappears

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:51:30 CEST 2011

On 21 June 2011 18:09, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-06-20 11:22, Paul A Norman wrote:
> > I'm on v0.5 r804(official), what (Menu://Help/About TeXworks) version
> > are you on please?
>
> I had another inspiration. Please test r845 or later - hopefully that
> fixes this issue finally.

Thanks, will do, noticed also that sometimes the cursor gets lost at the end
of the line, and you have to click in the document elsewhere to regain it.

> > Not sure if it is safe for text integrity to ignore it, and keep
> > editing, one of the reasons I keep local version numbers of source
> > documents.
>
> >From what I've seen so far, text integrity should not be affected - it
> seems to be a problem with rendering the text only. But then again,
> there might be more to it than meets the eye.

One of the dangers has been  not realising/noticing the line jumble up and
that text has disappeared/hidden, and retyping or reinserting things (text
graphics figures etc) and then later finding your document with double ups
or old edits of text.

That's one of the first reasons I have become so keen on local versioning as
I go.

Have made a hook script which prompts to save a date time stamped file name
copy for the current document (same directory) after each typeset. (How does
latexErrors.js know to not kick in after a non .tex typeset like a
bibliography?)

Looks like this in the dir listing:
  These-fair-Isles-2011-06-21--18-11-53.tex

So they appear together in time sequence by name in the directory listing ,
and can so be zipped up and away en-block.

Let me know if any one is interested and I'll try and put the script up.

Paul