[texworks] Mac OS TeXworks + fontconfig

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:27:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-06-05 21:56, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com
> <mailto:st.loeffler at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just for the record (and for submitting the patches upstream): did
>     this happen with an unpatched poppler as well? I.e., are those
>     zero-height glyphs picked up by fontconfig as well, or do they
>     require/use other font files that don't show this issue?
>

> I never noticed it before, but this error *do* happen with the
> Fontconfig build as well. Makes sense as Fontconfig is using the same
> Font file.  Your patch also fixes the Fontconfig build.
>
> I guess the last remaining issue that plagues (sort of) the Mac build
> of Poppler are the .notdef glyphs that show up in the Symbol font:
>
> One on Snow Leopard:
>
>     http://i.imgur.com/m0BCk.png
>
> Two on Leopard:
>
>     http://i.imgur.com/LEBbh.png
>
> I don't know if it is really worth hunting these down and eliminating
> them as TeXworks is not a general-purpose PDF viewer.  It might help
> with getting patches accepted upstream, but these issues are present
> in the Fontconfig build as well so we're not really upsetting the
> status quo by leaving them alone.

I'm inclined to close this matter. If Apple changes font encodings
between releases (it's not even the same glyphs that are .notdef'ed!) we
can't help it. Besides, as I pointed out before, TeX documents normally
have their fonts embedded, AFAIK. Fixing this would probably need some
digging through the encoding tables and adding OS version switches there
(though I'm not even sure if it's (easily) possible to have a
conditional compilation depending on the OS version...).

Speaking of upstream: how do we go about submitting the patches? If you
want, I guess it's best if you would submit the patches, as you have all
the relevant data (what was broken where, ...) and can answer any
questions that may arise. If not, I could submit them as well, of
course, but it would be a lot like "here you are, do with it what you
want" ;).

Cheers,