[texworks] Mac OS TeXworks + fontconfig

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 5 00:38:42 CEST 2011

On 4 Jun 2011, at 21:47, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

> Anyway, after getting TeXworks and Poppler to run through GDB, a backtrace from the error message indicates that the problem occurs in `SplashFTFont::makeGlyph` at `SplashFTFont.cc:244` which is a couple steps down the call chain from `SplashOutputDev::drawChar`.  I'll try to look over this later to see if I can figure anything out, but here is the full backtrace:
>
>     Formatted:
>     https://gist.github.com/1008336
>
>     Raw:
>     https://gist.github.com/raw/1008336/1c01061723261e5d3b6d583ff059a82ac0f00482/texworks_gdb_log.mdown
>
> Let me know if anything jumps out!

So at the lowest level, it's complaining about trying to allocate some kind of object of size zero; the goo allocator considers that invalid.

Looks like this is happening on the space character, probably (c=32 in your call stack).

I wonder if there's something about the space glyph in this version of ZapfDingbats that breaks an assumption in poppler. Space would be unusual in that it has no contours; but that would be true in most fonts, of course, so I don't know why this particular one causes trouble when other fonts apparently work ok.

(Of course, TeX doesn't usually generate space glyphs at all, but I'd expect them to be present in PDFs from other sources that poppler handles without problems.)

JK