[texworks] Mac OS TeXworks + fontconfig

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 23:29:53 CEST 2011


On 2011-06-02 18:19, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
> Allright, I did some poking around:
>   - Changing ZapfDingbats to ZapfDingbatsITC in base-14-font.pdf does
> not solve the Bogus memory allocation errors, however it does cause
> all the dingbat glyphs to be replaced with .notdef boxes.

Hm, this is unexpected (for me, anyway). Am I right in assuming that in
this case, none of the substitution, .dfont handling and stuff kicks in
but it simply returns the .ttf file? If that is the case, I don't
understand why all glyphs come out as .notdef. Unless there is some
other ZapfDingbats-specific code somewhere... Does anyone with more
experience with/knowledge about fonts have any ideas?

>   - Changing Helvitical to HelviticaFoo and altering the ZapfDingbat
> substitution to operate on it instead had no effect.

OK. Unfortunately, Helvetica is the default substitution for all missing
fonts, AFAIK. So maybe picking another one would be a good idea. Anyway,
does it find Helvetica properly?

>   - The errors are coming from the memory allocator for the Goo
> objects that Poppler uses.

Yes, I found the error message there as well. Could you find out which
one of the *malloc it is (e.g., by simply altering the different error
messages so they are unique)?

>   - I followed the function calls out of GlobalParamsMac.cc and into
> SplashOutputDev.cc.  They don't occur in
> `SplashOutputDev::doUpdateFont` which is the function that calls
> `getDisplayFont` from GlobalParamsMac.cc.
> Not sure what else to do at this point.

Well, the more we learn about this, the more it seems that there are
some hacks or others at work - either in poppler, in fontconfig, or in
the font itself, that are causing this.
The only other thing I can imagine that could be done is to run
everything through a debugger, break at the error message output and
look at the backtrace (and possible the variables) to find out where
this is coming from.
Anyway, I'll have a look at the code again to see if I can find anything
related to ZapfDingats, but I need to get some sleep first ;).


More information about the texworks mailing list