[texworks] Background image Drag N' Drop installer

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue May 31 04:43:20 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2011-05-28 18:25, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>> This looks great! Although I think we need to remove the icon images
>> as they will be provided by the icons of the actual app and folder.
>
> Sure, no problem. In fact, without the icons the svg becomes smaller and
> more portable (not to mention less prone to license violations connected
> to the apps folder icon ;)).
>
>> Having the SVG file would be interesting as we could possibly insert a
>> variable for the version number that gets filled in during
>> configuration. Then something like ImageMagick could be used to render
>> the SVG to a PNG.
>
> Yeah, that was the (ultimate) idea. If it works, one could even add the
> revision number - but if it doesn't, sticking with just the version is
> fine as well, and with only a few releases per year (at most) easy to
> keep track of manually.
>
> Anyway, I attached the (somewhat cleaned) svg file, plus the same pngs
> in case the conversion doesn't work out of the box. Note that I created
> the image in Inkscape, and used some rather fancy clipping boxes etc. of
> which I don't know how portable they are.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Allright, I added the SVG file and the PNG without version number to
the Git repository.  It seems that Inkscape is the only thing that can
faithfully render an Inkscape SVG to PNG. ImageMagick's `convert`
utility fails miserably. `svg2png` comes close, but it trips over
positioning the E in TeX. So, the background without version number is
used by default and packagers will have to export a new background
from the SVG template if they are packing up a specific release.

Also, it turned out that the best way to arrange the contents of the
disk image was to use AppleScript since it automates the task rather
than re-using a .DS_Store file from a folder whose contents were
arranged by hand and hope it still works.  The steps required for
packaging are now:

    make package

    # If you want a nicely formatted DMG
    ./set_dmg_layout.scpt