[texworks] 0.4.1 released

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri May 27 23:57:00 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I only want to spread the word that 0.4.1 is released. As a bugfix
> release, it is not a milestone, but it should smooth some rough edges,
> fix some bugs, and even introduce a few minor new features.
>
> The primary intention of this release was to wrap up all the
> improvements of the last couple of weeks, and to give the TeXLive team a
> good basis for their upcoming pre-release testing. If you've kept up to
> date with the development branch (0.5), there is no need to switch to
> 0.4.1, as it is based entirely on 0.5.
>
> Thanks for all the great support!
>
> -Stefan Löffler

I just uploaded two new Mac binaries based on 0.4.1:

For Leopard (ppc and i386 architectures):

    https://github.com/downloads/Sharpie/TeXworks/TeXworks.0.4.1-829-aa010eb-Leopard.dmg

For Snow Leopard (x86_64 architecture):

    https://github.com/downloads/Sharpie/TeXworks/TeXworks.0.4.1-829-aa010eb-SLeopard.dmg

** Note that these links are semi-permanent. If I produce new builds
in the future, I may delete old ones to conserve disk space. **

The only major change in the build process used to produce these
binaries is that some core Qt plugins are copied into TeXworks.app.
This means that things like drag-and-drop of image files and text
codecs should now be fully supported.

The binaries still include a version of Poppler that is dependent on
the Fontconfig library included in Apple's X11 package.  This means
the PDF viewer may not work properly on systems that don't have X11
fonts and configuration info.  Howeve, the X11 package is installed by
default since OS X 10.5.0---a user would have to go out of their way
to set up a system that does not include it.

There is work underway to revise patches to Poppler that let it use
the native Quartz font system instead of Fontconfig.

If anyone wishes to submit patches that improve the CMake build system
or the packaging of TeXworks on OS X, pull requests are welcomed at:

    https://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks

-Charlie