[texworks] do scripts support context menus?

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed May 25 01:25:04 CEST 2011

Hi Marco,

AFAIK at present there is no way to directly use an altered context
menu with scripting, but it has been sort of potentially flagged as a
possibility.

You may be able to connect mouse clicks to an editor window using
hooks, but I do not know how stable that would be, and Stefan provided
notes in November 2010, that suggested that meanwhile those parts of
the Tw scripting api should be left alone - you can look through
http://twscript.paulanorman.com/docs/html/TexWorksQtScripting.htm and
the chm download version http://twscript.paulanorman.com/docs/  for
"TeXworks Script Api functions and properties"

There was a detailed discussion back in April last year including this...

>     5) Introduce a new script type ("multi", "mixed", ... ideas welcome)
>     that defines only functions. There is one special function (e.g.
>     init())
>     that gets called when the TWScript object is created. Its purpose
>     is to
>     register menu items, toolbar items, hooks, ... (whatever comes to
>     mind).
>     Each of them gets connected to a function provided by the script.

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/texworks/2010q2/002685.html

And another discussion involving me where adding the whole script menu
to the rightcontext menu was mooted.

<Just_some_thoughts>

Perhaps there could be new part of script header (or just altering the
current // Context: operatoin) that indicates which menus a script
should appear in?

Then using the same kind of business logic as presntly, it and its
directory folder only appear in menus indicated as is currently done?
(Even if you have a directory under scripts it is not added to the
Script menu unless it has a valid Tw .qt or .js .py .lua in it.)

Possibly something like altering // Context:  current options to have
the current settings to continue to refer to their current main menu
locations (supports legacy scripts), and instead of C++ looking for a
single option here currently

PDFDocument or TeXDocument

It could look for one or more collection members instead and apply all
choices present, perhaps two additional memebers of such a collection
- PDFDocument-ContextMenu  and TeXDocument-ContextMenu

So the script header portion could sometimes look like this for some reason ...

// Context: TeXDocument  TeXDocument-ContextMenu  PDFDocument-ContextMenu

And so on.

</Just_some_thoughts>

You may find from what Stefan and Jonathan have already flagged in
older threads, that there are better plans - much more wide sweeping
as well (positioned menu subtrees buttons toolbars etc ...).

Paul