[texworks] SCRIPTING: on linux say Ubuntu - script write priveledges

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Tue May 24 03:01:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

Appreciate any info please from Linux user(s) on some basic questions.

For reference I'm looking at Ubuntu 11.04.

After setting the ppa required
https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ppa, Using sudo apt-get
install stuff to setup TeXworks 0.5 ver813 (works really nicely), when
a user runs a Tw script from TeXworks, can the script automatically
(if Tw's preferences permissions are already set) write/read to
subdirectories of the Tw script's own directory?

Also I have found that when logged in under the user name established
during Ubuntu install, running TeXworks form a console produces a
version that shows the TeXworks menu items in the new Unity top frame,
however if I start TeXworks as sudo TeXworks I get a more classical
looking (similar to Windows) appearance of TeXworks layout with the Tw
menus in the program's own frame. What should I make of that please?