[texworks] Building TeXworks for the Mac yourself

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue May 17 07:42:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-05-16 08:06, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 15/05/2011 13:33, Stefan Löffler wrote:
>> Anyway, with Charlie's build system for the Mac in place, you almost
>> good to go for building TeXworks yourself - if you want. I've uploaded a
>> guide derived from the original readme file at
>> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/BuildingOnMacOSXHomebrew. AFAIK,
>> however, it was not tested on a clean (meaning: no development files
>> installed) system, yet. So, if you're willing to try, please take a look
>> at it, and report anything (be at a successful compilation, a problem, a
>> suggestion, or whatever else) you experience here so we can improve this
>> guide and others can follow in your footsteps in the future.
> After a few false starts to strip out some material from earlier
> attempts, I seem to have got this working. The only notes I'd add are
> that (1) Xcode 3 is on the second DVD that came with my Mac, so I
> avoided downloading it. (Install the 'Developer Tools' or something like
> that.) (2) Building Qt tool over 2 hours even after it was downloaded,
> and the download was also pretty long. So pick a time when you can leave
> that particular step running.

Thanks for testing and providing feedback!

Re. 1): If you (or someone else) could check the correct term (without
the "or something like that" ;)) I'll add it to the guide. BTW: Is
having a second DVD with developer tools common, or is this specific to
your version/configuration (sorry, I've lived in the Windows world for
quite a while, where most operating systems come in a wide variety of
variants ranging from "basic" to "ultimate" with different features and
support).

Re. 2): Right now it says "/Warning: Some of these will take a long time
to finish. Especially Qt is quite large (several 100s of MB), so make
sure you have a good internet connection and (up to) a couple of hours.
The good thing is that each installation should run without requiring
any input from you." /just below the "brew install" commands. If this is
unclear (or too easy to overlook), I happily accept improvements.

Cheers,
Stefan
//