[texworks] smart quotes – default?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Mar 29 11:43:25 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm quite annoyed by the “smart quote” function. In times of ancient
keyboard layouts this might have been useful, but nowadays a keyboard
should provide all signs one needs while typing.
Ok, most people insist in using the ancient layouts, so it's nice that
TeXwork still provides the feature. However, since a few versions I seem
not to be able to deactivate it by default – everytime I restart
TeXworks, the option is set to Unicode characters which has caused some
documents to crash and made some time-consuming error search necessary.
Or – even worse – things go wrong unnoticedly in math environments (like
E' which becomes E’ and is typeset as E).

Long introduction, short question: How do I turn off smart quotes by
default?
(using svn Version 0.5 r.765 under Arch Linux with the yaourt package
texworks-svn)

cheers
Arno