[texworks] [TexLive-Installation] Where does TW stores configuration and settings?

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 11:05:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've also tended to avoid putting anything in Windows Registry in most
projects.

Is it at all worth considering setting installation as "Portable" by default
and auto-generating the needed texworks-setup.ini  (putting everything in a
"config" folder under TeXworks.executable)?

defaultbinpaths = <whereever>/MiTeX 2.8.3541 dah dah/miktex/bin
inipath = ./config
libpath = ./config

And making it an alternative option during install instead for
(under Windows) Registry (or other central /User OS dependant locations)
to be used as the alternative?

Would this give a consistent place for people to find settings even on
different Os-es?

Or would this not be preferable or work consistenlty across the different
OS'es?  Would Linux file permissions get in the way here if its not in the
User's home folder tree?

In the alternative keep everything out of Registry, and as TeXworks always
knows where everything is -- could TeXworks have a sub menu / or panel in
Preferences like the Template previewer to retrieve and open for edit all
the User configuration files? Then  no none has to work out where they all
are?

Paul