[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.0 GUI

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 12:23:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-26 12:53, Helge Kruse wrote:
> Am 25.03.2011 07:33, schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>> I tested on Windows XP, and the problem did not occur initially (i.e.,
>> with the default list). When I added a very long (arbitrary) name, I had
>> to restart Tw to get the correct combo box width, but it did work. What
>> Windows version do you use?
> Windows 7 Professional, 64 Bit.

I also tested it on Win 7 (64bit) now (the system is pretty much
"as-bought" as I don't use it normally), and everything behaved as
expected. That is:
 * with 0.4.0-r759, the combo box had a "normal size" (comparable to the
one on XP). When I added or removed very long names, the combo box size
didn't change. When I restarted Tw, it was initialized correctly, however.
 * with 0.5-r765, I experienced the same behavior as above, with the
only difference that now the combo box did resize when long items were
added or removed.

So, all in all, it seemed to work as it should.
Do you have any special configuration (font sizes, themes, ...)? Or are
you working on a very small screen (such that the toolbar doesn't fit
completely)? Can you post a screenshot?

> When I install it in the "Virtual XP Mode" (That's a VM to support old
> Win7-incompatible software), the combo box has a reasonable size.
> But there's a surprise: The list of tools is different:
>   LaTeXmk, pdfTeX, pdfLaTeX, XeTeX, XeLaTeX, ConteXt (MKII), XeConTeXt
> (MKII), BibTeX, MakeIndex
> You can compare this with the list above.

This list (with the "(MKII)") looks like the latest default list. So it
seems that in this compatibility mode, the settings are stored in a
different location. You can use the "Scripts > Scripting TeXworks > Show
Scripts Folder" menu item to locate the resource folder (or, more
precisely, its "scripts" subfolder). Can you check if that is the same
in "native" (i.e., Win 7) and "virtual XP" modes?

I didn't use the installer, but I did use the compatibility settings
(from the Properties dialog). There, the configurations etc. didn't
change, only the windows/widgets looked different (legacy style).

HTH