[texworks] Mac build available here

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:40:08 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-22 10:54, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
> I just did a quick Mac OS X 10.6 x86_64 build with:
>
> - TeXworks svn trunk (should be close to 0.4.0, right?)
> - Qt 4.7.2 (with other 4.7.x changes since I'm a Qt developer personally)
> - poppler 0.16.3
> - hunspell-1.2.14
> - Other libraries are shipped with Mac OS X
>
> It's available here for people who wants to try:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs9qutjgtwised7/TeXworks.zip

Thanks, this is awesome. I'll add a link to it to the homepage (if I may).
BTW, svn trunk is functionally identical with 0.4.0 at the moment. This
will obviously change in the future, but for now I think it would be
best to keep to the 0.5 (=trunk) series anyway until we've worked out a
good way of general building and that has been tested thoroughly.

> I called it "quick" because I don't want to mess up with all the different
> SDKs and universal binaries stuff, but this build should fix most Mac users'
> needs.

I understand. Nevertheless, I have a few questions/requests - maybe you
can reply to some of them:

 * Could you give a brief overview what you did to compile Tw? I'd like
to start a section on the Wiki so others can reproduce your build. I can
fill in some gaps (like instructions about download packages, etc.), but
it would be great if you could provide a list of prerequisites, and the
non-standard build commands (if any).

 * In particular, did you build poppler without fontconfig? If so, how?
Did you use any Mac-specific patches?

 * As a Mac developer, do you have any pointers to information regarding
different SDKs and universal builds? As a non-Mac person, I'm still
having trouble understanding all the technicalities involved.

 * As a Qt developer, do you have any advice how to do universal builds
for Qt? I think it would be no problem for people experimenting with
building, say, hunspell or poppler with different config flags. But for
Qt (which takes hours to build) this would be really problematic, so any
hints are very welcome.

Thanks again for everything you shared so far (and maybe share in the
future),