[texworks] once more: problems with eps and ps figures in texworks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Mar 22 15:21:40 CET 2011

Le 22 mars 2011 à 15:05, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Mar 21, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Vandebroek, Martina wrote:
>
>> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
>> \usepackage{subfigure}
>> \usepackage{epsfig}
>> \usepackage{epstopdf}
>>

> If you are compiling with the default pdflatex you should NOT be using the [dvips] option to the graphicx package. As a matter of fact, unless you are using latex with dvipdfm(x) or some other back end that dvips->ps2pdf there is no need to give any driver options.
>
> Next, how recent is your TeX distribution? In TL2010 (I'm not familiar with MikTeX versions) you won't need to use epstopdf (it's loaded in restricted mode by the graphicx package). Why are you including the epsfig package?

It seems dangerous to use epsfig and epstopdf together, their purposes are antagonistic: epsfig deals with EPS files, and epstopdf bypasses them by calling GhostScript for conversion to PDF before processing by pdfTeX.

That said, why are you using pdfLaTeX? From your preamble, it looks like you'd be better off using LaTeX + dvips + Ghostscript. See

http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/AdvancedTypesettingTools

(look for "latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf" then Windows).

Bruno Voisin