[texworks] Suggestions/questions about TeXworks 0.3r736

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:16:24 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-09 21:44, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> Now that I've got my forward and reverse search going, some less
> important questions/issues:
>
> 1.  Is there a way to automatically tile the editor and preview
> windows one above the other?  Window|Stack does what other Windows
> applications call "Cascade", Window|Tile does "Tile horizontally",
> Window|Side by Side does the same.  The other Window menu options only
> move one window.  Some other applications have "Tile vertically" which
> would do what I want.  (I have my monitor in portrait orientation, so
> tiling horizontally gives me two long thin windows.)

No, there's no such functionality built-in at the moment. Tw does,
however, remember the last configuration you used for a file (at least
as long as it's in the "Recent files" list). So if you use the same file
for a long time, this should help.
Apart from that, it may be possible to do what you want with a script. I
haven't tried yet, though.

> 2.  There seems to be something wrong with the font selection in
> TeXworks.   If I open the file
>
> http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/temp/texworks/doc-002.pdf
>
> in other previewers, I see open circles for the points.  If I open it
> in TeXworks, the points show as little q symbols.

This is a problem with my Windows builds - thanks for pointing it out.
The new version I uploaded an hour ago should fix this problem. Still,
in the light of this, it would probably be a good idea to always embed
all fonts.

<begin technical explanation>
As was already pointed out in this thread, this problem seems to be
limited to pdf viewers based on poppler. The reason for this turned out
to be that poppler doesn't include the 14 base postscript fonts every
pdf viewer should. I have now included the fonts distributed with
ghostscript (GPLv2) in the builds and also hacked poppler to use them.
Of course, this increases the size of the Tw archive a bit, though.
<end technical explanation>

HTH