[texworks] Licensing the manual

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:23:55 CET 2011

Hi,

for those of you who are unaware of it: there is a manual for TeXworks,
created by Alain Delmotte. It's shipped with the Windows builds, and is
otherwise available online at http://www.leliseron.org/texworks/.

This manual dates back to before the 0.2 release, however. In light of
the upcoming release, I've started updating it, and Alain has agreed to
publishing the sources afterwards (most likely, I'll commit them to a
separate branch in svn).

Now, the issue I'm facing is which license to put them under. Tw is
licensed under GPLv2, but this doesn't strike me as a particularly good
license for the manual. I've been thinking about a CreativeCommons
license, but maybe there are better alternatives? Also, can we host such
documents in the source repository of GC (which shows "Code license:
GPLv2")? Can such manuals be safely distributed with a GPL program?

Clearly, I am not a lawyer, but maybe someone on this list is, or has
more experience with these issues, has some useful comments, or can
point me to some other resources/lists where I can find some help.

Thanks in advance,