[texworks] [MacTeX] Call for Help: Mac builds

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 15:02:08 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-02-15 22:38, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Thanks for that Bruno. Of course, while this is fine for a single user,
> it does not help with the key questions:
>
>  1) How to get poppler to work without fontconfig
>  2) How to remove the need for the Qt debug libraries
>  3) What to do about universal binaries

OK, here are a few comments from my side (yeah, I'm back from vacation ;)).

@1)
First, you'll need freetype, e.g., from
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-2.4.4.tar.gz.
Building that should be simple. Just run
./configure && make && make install

Then, I would start with a clean source package of the 0.12.x series,
e.g.,
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/snapshot/poppler-0.12.3.tar.gz
I just checked, Jonathan's patches apply fine with `patch -p1 <
/path/to/patch`.
Then, run
./autogen.sh --enable-xpdf-headers --disable-fontconfig
--enable-mac-fonts --disable-poppler-glib --disable-gtk-test
--disable-abiword-output --disable-utils
The flags passed could also be passed to ./configure, but that is run
automatically by autogen.sh. They just enable the handling for the Mac
and disable some things we don't need here (so the build process is a
little bit faster). If that succeeds, proceed as usual, namely
make && make install

@2)
You could try the following when building Tw:
 qmake -config release
(found on http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/deployment-mac.html which will
probably be useful for other issues as well)

@3)
I'll leave that for later ;).

HTH