[texworks] Call for Help: Mac builds

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 18:36:39 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-02-06 11:51, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 22:09, Joseph Wright wrote:
>> Right, task one is to sort the fontconfig business, I guess.
> As a first pass, I decided to have a go using poppler 0.12.0, which is
> the one that Jonathan patched. (If you try to apply the patches to the
> current release, it fails. Deal with one thing at a time!)

I'll look into that when I find time for it. I guess (hope) it just
needs some minor adjustments.

> The patches apply okay (not a surprise), but 'autoconf' is not happy. If
> try the Git version, I get
>
> palladium:poppler joseph$ autoconf
> configure.ac:536: warning: AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX is m4_require'd but not
> m4_defun'd
> m4/iconv.m4:18: AM_ICONV_LINKFLAGS_BODY is expanded from...
> m4/iconv.m4:152: AM_ICONV_LINK is expanded from...
> m4/iconv.m4:180: AM_ICONV is expanded from...
> configure.ac:536: the top level
>
> whereas if I try the .tar.gz I get
>
> palladium:poppler-0.12.0 joseph$ autoconf
> aclocal.m4:20: warning: this file was generated for autoconf 2.63.
> You have another version of autoconf.  It may work, but is not
> guaranteed to.
> If you have problems, you may need to regenerate the build system entirely.
> To do so, use the procedure documented by the package, typically
> `autoreconf'.

Might be a good idea to run autoreconf on the latest version as well
(once the patch issue is solved). Note, though, that usually it's better
to use the latest released version (0.16.2 ATM) rather than using a git
checkout (which is a development version).

> So I try 'autoreconf', which seems to work itself, but ./configure gives
>
> [various perfectly normal things]
> checking for libpng... (cached) no
> ./configure: line 22207: normal: command not found
> configure: WARNING: libpng not found. disable PNG support.
> ./configure: line 22281: syntax error near unexpected token `FREETYPE,'
> ./configure: line 22281: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FREETYPE, freetype2,'
>
> at the point where the unpatched one dies complaining about a lack of
> fontconfig.
>
> I've no experience of 'autoconf' (being used only to "./configure &&
> make && make check && sudo make install"), so I'm a bit stuck here!

It seems to me that it's trying to locate freetype, but doesn't even
know how to do that (let alone probably wouldn't find it, unless you
built it?). My guess is this goes away as soon as you download and build
freetype (http://freetype.org/ current version seems to be
freetype-2.4.4.tar.gz). Should work with the normal configure/make/...
procedure. Once it's installed, configure should pick up the required
macros.

HTH