[texworks] [MacTeX] Call for Help: Mac builds

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 19:30:41 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-02-05 14:37, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> the SDK would be needed if you were going to build X11 binaries that
> use the Qt toolkit. If you intend to build "native" Mac OS X
> applications with Qt, then you'll use Mac OS X Frameworks – if Nokia
> uses the term "framework" with the same meaning as Apple with
> "Framework". Presumingly, for Nokia it's just a set of shared
> libraries that X11 Qt clients need to run on a computer that is not
> the same as where they were built. So I think you'd need to compile
> and install the complete SDKs – and build static very fat universal
> binaries (for 64-bit support as well). Otherwise every user would need
> to install a Qt "framework".

I don't know about the Mac version. Extrapolating from the Windows
version, it would seem that the "framework" includes all the headers and
libraries (also for static linking, IIRC). According to the download
page, it also contains build tools. The SDK only seems to add additional
programs, like IDEs, etc.

> This gives me some time to work on TeXworks builds on the Mac –
> 'though I have only PPC hardware and therefore "only" Mac OS X 10.5.8,
> Leopard, without any snow.
>
> Next step would be to build universal binaries, ready for sharing. I
> could also try to do the same on Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.11?) – I have it
> bootable on an external disk.

The last testing build seems to have been built on/for 10.4, according
to the lines in TeXworks.pro. I have no idea if this is totally outdated
by now, generally supported, or whatever. Jonathan, do we want/need 10.4?

-Stefan