[texworks] Automatic update of resources

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 07:14:39 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-01-16 23:45, Paul A Norman wrote:
> 1. Just for clarity for people, (I'm using portable as per normal) the
> "resource directory" you are referring to  will normally be named
> "config"  on their hard-drive (?)

No (if I understand the question correctly). The resource directory is
where all the scripts, templates, etc. go in. As per
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/TipsAndTricks#Locating_and_customizing_TeXworks_resources,
this should by default be located at
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\TeXworks\
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\<username>\TeXworks\ (?)
GNU/Linux: ~/.TeXworks/

> 2. With syntax-patterns.txt I have made changes to it, so it will not
> be able update with new material over the Internet now(?)

Yes. This is the same situation that we had until now. To circumvent
that, we would need some kind of advanced diff/patch/version control
system built into Tw, which won't happen. Besides, even full-fledged
version control systems sometimes fail with automatic merges. So to
update those files, you'd have to track changes manually...

> - am  I able to make more than one--a User's one like
> "syntax-patterns-user.txt ? So that the original can be left
> unedited--and up-datable over the Internet through your new system?

No, not at the moment. This only works for files in the completion
subdirectory, which are all loaded simultaneously. We could think about
providing a mechanism for the -user scheme you proposed, but there are
numerous problems involved. E.g., how would you remove an entry? How
would you supersede an entry, and in the case of an update, should your
old value or the upstream new value take precedence? That's why I went
with the "the user is always right" policy that if you customize a file,
the system assumes you know what you're doing and that you're taking
care of implementing any new features and bug fixes yourself in "your"
files.

HTH