[texworks] Create keyword for auto-completion

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:09:34 CET 2011

Hi BH,

On 14 January 2011 02:56, Beat Hintermann <beathintermann at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to create my own keyword for auto-completion.
>
> Where exactly do I save this file, and under what name?

Ok I assume that the MikTeX distribution of TeXworks (Tw) has got the
manual on board, go to the Tw Help menu and look for "a short manual
for TeXworks"

In the table of contents look for the Annexes and then "Roots for completion"

Most of what you will need to know is probably in there depending on
where MiKTeX has put your stuff.

> And how do I make
> sure it's UTF-8 encoded (whatever this means)?.

Using default settings Tw natively makes utf-8 files, so that is one option.

>  I downloaded TeXworks
> through Miktex, so the folder that contains the application is
> ...\miktex\bin. But I see no other txt files in there, and for some reason
> I'm not able to save a txt file into that folder.

<home>/TeXworks/config/completion/

I'm not using MiKTeX's distribution of Tw, but if you are on Xp or WIn
then check for <home> under something like

C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name/

This thread suggests this location for the TeXworks folder under MiKTeX

http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2010q1/002456.html

> C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application
> Data\MiKTeX\2.8\TeXworks

(Maybe someone else can jump in here please if that is not going to help?)

Paul