[texworks] TW crashes when file is modified externally

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Fri Jan 7 23:03:02 CET 2011

2011-01-07 02:14, Paul A Norman skrev:
> Dear BJP,
>
> Can you please advise from the Tw Menu /  Help / About TeXworks   box
> that appears,  which version and revision of Tw you are using? The
> required information is just below the copyright symbol.
>
> Or please use 'Email to the Mailing List'  from the same Help Menu, to
> send the message, as it automatically includes useful information to
> help solve things.
>
> Also - what other program or process modified the .tex file please,
> was there an error log for that application as well?
>
> TIA, paul

----- configuration info -----
TeXworks version : 0.3r726 (launchpad)
Install location : /usr/bin/texworks
Library path     : /home/benct/.TeXworks/
pdfTeX location  : /usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux/pdftex
Operating system : Linux Ubuntu 2.6.31-22-generic #70-Ubuntu SMP
Wed Dec 1 23:51:13 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Qt4 version      : 4.5.2 (build) / 4.5.2 (runtime)

It happens whenever I modify a file which is open in TW with
*any* other application, though usually it's about doing
regex gymnastics with gvim or perl scripts/oneliners.
There are no errors from the other applications. It's
apparently the very fact that something else touches
the file which makes TW crash.  or so I thought: now when
I want to force it to happen it doesn't happen, typically...