[texworks] An option to be able to bring all windows to front would be nice.

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 07:41:22 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-01-03 14:11, Marko Käning wrote:
> I just felt that it would be really nice if an ALT+TAB would not only
> bring one of TW's windows into the foreground, but all of them at once.
> Since I usally have the main file, a sub file and the viewer window opened
> it makes sense to bring all of them to front instead of only one of them
> when switch between applications with the ALT+TAB key combination.
>
> Herewith I do admit to not have checked TW's bug tracker for a possibly
> already existing feature request of this sort. ;-)

Well, sort of. First, your feature request sounds good for your
workflow. However, imagine someone who has a dozen files open, and wants
to repeatedly copy data from an external app into one of the Tw windows.
In that case, he'd assume he can Alt+Tab there, copy, Alt+Tab back, and
paste. If we would bring all windows to front, we'd thereby most likely
alter the sequence of windows, so Alt+Tabbing again would not bring the
user back to the external app, but instead to some other Tw window,
which wouldn't be expected.
Anyway, there is the feature request for tabbed windows, so that would
probably suite your workflow well, too?

-Stefan