[texworks] Switch source and preview windows (was: message from TeXworks user)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 10:57:49 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-11-25 11:35, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> I rather like the TeXWorks dual-view system with the editing and
> typeset windows placed side-by-side.

That's always great to hear :).

> However, I like my editing window to the right of the typeset window
> but find that there is no simple option to set it up so.
>
> I can move each window separately but cannot get a left-right switch
> permanently set for the side-by-side option.
>
> Can someone help please?

Unfortunately, right now there is no configuration option for that. Such
an option has been thought about in the past, but hasn't hit the sources
yet.
For the windows of recent documents, the last known position is stored,
but that probably doesn't help you.

It should be possible, however, to move windows around using scripting
with the placeOnLeft() and placeOnRight() methods. So, it is conceivable
to have a script that goes through all windows, checks if they are
source or preview windows, and uses the placeOn...() methods to move
them around. You could set up a shortcut for that script, or it could
even be run automatically upon opening a document or creating a new one.
If there are any pitfalls in this approach, I can't tell off-hand, though.

HTH