[texworks] TeXWorks LaTeX syntax highlighting

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:37:45 CET 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, at 01:33, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> Texmaker has no problem highlighting Persian control sequences. See attached image. It exactly uses what I described before.

You did not describe anything with sufficient precision to determine exactly what "should" be done.

In Texmaker's case, it seems to treat everything from the \ to a space or certain other punctuation marks as being the "control sequence". This can lead to highlighting too much.... try pasting this into a Texmaker window:

  \foo[bar]
  \foo{bar}
  \foo"bar"
  \foo'bar'
  \TeX's~tokenizing is tricky.
  \foo=bar+baz!~where-does-the-control-sequence-end?
  \foo$$bar$$bar$$bar$$
  \foo$$bar$$bar$$bar$$
  $\pi=3.1415926$~(roughly).

(The last few lines show it getting confused by dollar signs, too.)

As others have mentioned, you can modify the configuration to suit your needs better, but it still won't be "right" for all cases.

JK