[texworks] New Windows version - please test

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 20:09:16 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-11-22 19:10, Matthias Pospiech wrote:
> Am 22.11.2010 18:48, schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
>> On 22 November 2010 Matthias Pospiech wrote:
>>
>>   >  Am 22.11.2010 13:16, schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>>   >  >
>>   >  >  Ignasi already mentioned it: there was a feature request to use
>>   >  >  the Qt dialog for opening files (note that it was used for the
>>   >  >  save dialog before) because of consistency and because you could
>>   >  >  add bookmarks. Of course, if this produces such problems, we'd
>>   >  >  need to revert that to using the native dialog at least on
>>   >  >  Windows 7.
>>
>>   >  Win 7 has its own 'bookmark' system which works systemwide. Since
>>   >  the user looses all capabilites of Win7 with the Qt dialog I do not
>>   >  think this is a good idea. Also on kde/linux I would want the kde
>>   >  dialog instead of the Qt one.
>>
>> Then you have to wait for "kTeXworks".  Not everybody has KDE.  And
>> Gnome users want to have a Gnome GUI, others have other preferences.
>>
> I was thinking that Qt chooses the KDE Dialog in a KDE environment as
> the system default.
> Adding KDE dependencies was not my intention.

It does. As a matter of fact, the only two alternatives are native vs.
Qt dialog. On all but Windows, the native dialog is used. (At least) on
Windows XP, this seems to fall short in some respects. Therefore, the Qt
dialog was chosen. But if on Windows 7 this makes things worse than
better, we may revert that there.

Using the system's native dialog does not pull in any additional
dependencies. It's called by Qt automatically.

-Stefan