[texworks] Current status of Tw development

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 09:46:22 CET 2010

On 2010-11-18 07:56, Paul A Norman wrote:
> P.s. regarding printing pdf  from preview - I should add that from
> using TeXworks as a typesetter, and the proofing point of view, it is
> extremely important to at some point to actually print out (and
> preview), not from the poppler library Tw uses, but from pdf viewers
> that are going to render the typeset material as your users will
> likely see it and print it. And I understand that many assume Acrobat
> Reader is still way up there in the numbers.

I agree. If you do professional typesetting, eventually all that count
is the printout, I guess. The next question would be: how many people do
professional typesetting here (and with Tw alone)? And how many use it
because it gives nice output, etc., but have never so much as heard
about kerning and the likes? Of course, Tw should support both
approaches, but it would nevertheless be interesting to know. But right
now, I guess there are more important things to focus on ;).

BTW: poppler should give accurate results as far as layout etc. is
concerned. Some things (like forms, comments, ...) are not ideal, but as
far as typesetting is concerned, this shouldn't be a problem. So the
preview should be reliable in this respect. I've never tested this
myself, though.

-Stefan