[texworks] Current status of Tw development

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Nov 17 16:21:38 CET 2010

Le 17 nov. 2010 à 15:40, Stefan Löffler a écrit :

> PS: By the way, Tw's primary goal is not to replace other dedicated
> (free) pdf viewers out there. There are many excellent ones that have a
> much larger feature set than the Tw previewer. Its primary goal is to
> provide just that: a quick and easy previewer for the final document to
> facilitate the work.

With that I must say I don't agree. Tw's primary goal, as I understand it, is to provide a cross-platform all-in-one TeX GUI, allowing to:

- create/open/save files via a File menu,

- edit these files via an Edit menu,

- typeset them via a Typeset menu,

- view the output via a View menu,

- print this output via the File menu again,

pretty much in the same way as TeXShop does for the Mac alone (and Textures before it for Mac OS Classic, and TeXview to some extent for the NeXt).

> But for the official code base, I don't think the
> patch is ready as the result can be unpredictable (for the average
> user), and depends on certain features and programs that may or may not
> be available on the user's system. From my current POV, printing will
> therefore not be part of the official 0.4 stable release, sorry.

With this I do agree: given the printing patch is AFAIK available for Windows alone (it sure isn't present in Mac builds), better not have it in any official build, for cross-platform consistency.

Bruno