[texworks] [tex-live] texworks in TL 2010

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Nov 14 13:37:50 CET 2010

On 14 November 2010 Stefan Löffler wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Am 2010-11-13 13:17, schrieb Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd):
 > >

 > > Axel E. Retif wrote:
 > >
 > >> I'm replying from my Windows box. I pasted your example in TeXworks and
 > >> immediately he typesetting format changed from pdfLaTeX to XeLaTeX.
 > >
 > > Yes, the behaviour seems to be time/context sensitive.
 > > Repeating your tests replicates your experienced
 > > behaviour, but if I then reset the engine to TeX,
 > > it fails as before.  I think that my expectations
 > > were not aligned with reality : I expected the %!TS
 > > pragmats to have an effect when the green "Go" button
 > > was pressed, not at any other time.
 >
 > Indeed. The %!TEX modlines are used during loading (and of course
 > if you manually change them). It is still possibly to override the
 > behavior by manually setting a typesetting engine, though. How else
 > would it be possible to run auxiliary programs (bibtex, makeindex,
 > ps2pdf, ...) easily?

I'm wondering whether it isn't better to distinguish between tex
engines/formats and other programs somehow.  Since there is the
"Typeset" menu (in the menu bar) already, I think that it's probably
better if the pull down menu near the "Go" button doesn't list all
engines/formats but only the one the user has chosen for his project.

It's more unlike then that a user accidentally overrides the %!TS
specification.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25