[texworks] TeXWorks package on TLContrib (looking for testers)

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Oct 28 14:06:42 CEST 2010

Hi,

On TLContrib, there is now a binary package for texworks on linux
64-bit. It is still experimental, which is why it would be nice
if some linux 64 people could try to install and test it. To install
the package, first make sure you have the latest 'texworks' from
the normal texlive repository:

   $ tlmgr install texworks

then, to fetch the binary package, do this:

   $ tlmgr --repository http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/2010 install
texworks.x86_64-linux

After that, it should be possible to run 'texworks' from the
command line.

The binary package texworks.x86_64-linux is revision 670, but the local
manual (which comes from the tl 'texworks' package) is lagging behind
(it is probably from the 0.2.3 release).

The package works by including lots of dynamic libraries itself,
and then pointing the dynamic loader to the directory that contains
those, instead of relying on locally installed libraries, but there
are some exceptions. Some of the core libraries from /lib64 are not
included (I assuming everyone has libc, libm, and libpthreads), and
neither is the libdl as if that does not match, loading dynamic
libraries will not work anyway.

You need a fairly recent linux, I assume (my build system runs
2.6.35.4-desktop).

Best wishes,
Taco