[texworks] Typset - but Acrobat Reader holds pdf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Oct 18 12:29:55 CEST 2010

On 18 October 2010 Paul A Norman wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Sometimes I need to preview \pdfcomment(s) and need to use Acrobat
 > Reader to do that (\pdfcomment(s) are not in poppler yet).
 >
 > Does any one know why Acrobat Reader holds onto the .pdf when you want
 > to Typset (Green arrow button)?

Hi Paul,
AR doesn't load the whole file into memory in order to be able to
process files larger than the amount of RAM+swap space.

 > Is there any workaround? Otherwise you always have to close Acrobat
 > Reader if it is viewing the document you are going to typeset.

I suppose that you're on Windows.  The problem is that on Windows a
file can't be removed while a process is using it.  You could try
using the programs pdfopen.exe and pdfclose.exe which are using the
DDE interface in order to close/reopen *files* in AR without
closing/launching AR itself each time.

Usage:
        pdfopen  --file <filename> [--page <page>]
                       Opens <filename> (at page <page> if available)
                             in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
        pdfclose --file <filename>
                 Closes <filename> in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
        pdfclose --all
                 Closes all documents in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
Beware: only documents opened by `pdfopen' can be closed
        by `pdfclose'.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25