[texworks] external read-access causes TeXWorks to revert open file to old version

Stefan Müller warrence.stm at gmx.de
Wed Sep 22 15:24:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am Mittwoch 22 September 2010, 13:50:11 schrieb Paul A Norman:
> Stefan,
>
> We may need a TeXWorks developer to step in here, but I know they are
> very cautious and thorough in their development procedures and I
> respect them for that, so it would seem a little unlikely that
> TeXWorks by itself would be the issue here ...
>
> Do you have a completely different machine you can try and replicate this
> from?

Actually, I have two different machines, the one with Windows and the other one
with Linux running on it.

> This part of your original posting makes me think that it is possibly
> a caching issue of commits from RAM to your hardrive.
>
> " most of the times TeXWorks restores an version of the open file
> which is older than the saved document"

You may be right. I can't think how TeXWorks could possibly restore an old
version of the  document. Is TeXWorks keeping automatic backups somewhere?
(Like Word and OpenOffice do, to restore a file if they crash)

> I assume that the apparent "version" of the document has exactly the same
> name?

I'm not sure what you mean. An example what happens:
- I have a file "a.tex" with 600 lines (50kb, don't know if the size matters),
Mercurial-revision: 150. I change something in one line. The file is marked as
changed ("a.tex*" in headline of TeXWorks).
- I save the file ("a.tex" in headline of TeXWorks).
- I switch to hgtk and commit the change, new revision is 151.
- I switch back to TeXWorks. What I see now is the file how it was in revision
150, but still "a.tex" in headline of TeXWorks.
- If I close TeXWorks and reopen it again with my file a.tex then I see the file
from revision 151 again, as it should be. If I don't close the file and change
something else, save and commit again then I destroy the change in revision
151.
So the name is always the same...

> The bit about TeXWorks closing itself - makes me think about RAM
> pirarcy going on in the memory processes.
>
> At a guess, a few things point to some sort of possible memory
> violation on your machine perhaps?
>
> Has there been any history of RAM memory problems on your machine at all
> please?

I can't answer that for sure. I have trouble with hibernation on my Linux
machine, but I think the problem with messed up documents is older.

> Also, there are newer  Windows versions of TexWorks available from
> Alian Delmot's  here (marked development but quite stable):
>
> http://www.leliseron.org/texworks/      You'll notice that the number
> is v0.3  r606
>
> And if you are happy to build it for other OS's, links are here:
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/

I'll try that. Thank you for your help so far.

Stefan