[texworks] HELP: Integrated Tw LaTeX2e Help dialogue

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 09:46:31 CEST 2010

 Hi,

Am 2010-07-01 08:08, schrieb Paul A Norman:
> On 1 July 2010 17:59, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 2010-07-01 07:50, schrieb Paul A Norman:
>>> I've removed the download.
>>>
>> There's no need to. Jonathan committed the modality patch (all dialogs
>> are forced to be modal for now) yesterday. So it should be safe.
>>
> These patches don't work into releases for ages.

Well, 0.2 (the last stable release) is not affected. And there should be
0.4 rather soon.
As for the experimental builds, I've updated both my Ubuntu and Windows
builds. But in any case, these are experimental, and while they are
generally pretty stable, unexpected crashes can happen at times, and
users of these builds should update regularly.

>> This didn't matter. If you closed the document from which you called the
>> script, Tw would crash as soon as the script ended. As I wrote
>> previously, I assume that it tried to access/free memory that was no
>> longer available as it had belonged to the calling window.
>>
> On 649 (personal) -- unaltered
>
> I can not reproduce that.
>
> If I have various Tw documents open, and one of the calls the help
> dialogue, and then I close the Tw Editor that called the help dialogue
> - so far I have not had a crash when I close the Help Dialogue after
> that, I can continue working in other Tw windows no problem -- may be
> it will happen to me later for some reason.

Since I tested on Linux and you use Windows, the different memory
management could be the cause of this. What you could also try is to use
the "Paste" button in your dialog after the TeX window was closed (I
can't test myself right now because you removed the script from GC, but
I think this should also trigger a segfault/crash on Linux).

-Stefan