[texworks] Script: Questions about the API

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Mon Apr 19 09:43:32 CEST 2010

Le 19 avr. 2010 à 03:11, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> So.... nothing is decided at this point. Embedding WebKit is certainly possible, but I am not convinced it's the right approach. TeXworks aims to be a simple integrated TeX environment; it does not aim to be a full-featured web browser that happens to be able to run TeX! :)
>
> I'd welcome other people's thoughts on this, too.
>
> Jonathan

There is a big difference between an html viewer and an html browser.
AFAICT, a full featured web browser will contain so many necessary features that are not built in WebKit (history, extensions, multiple windows...).
But one is essential for me is security: there should be some very restrictive control in downloading management if WebKit is ever embedded in TeXworks.

For example, I like the way XCode (IDE on Mac OS X) integrates WebKit: a search text field, a list of matches, an HTML view to display the results.
The search is made both on your computer and in the developer web site and you do not navigate out of these 2 domains.
No downloading feature available.

In short, for a web browser in Tw, I vote NO
for Tw as a partially web app, I don't vote NO.

JL