[texworks] Bug on OS X

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 19:09:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 2010-04-16 08:09, schrieb Jérome Laurens:
> On the mac, the programming interface offered virtual support for such keyboard shortcuts as an inheritance from the NEXT days (OS X is based on Next computers).
> But IIRC this was not fully implemented in the user interface.
>
> On Mac OS X, to access a menu item without the mouse, you
> 1 - Move the focus to the main menu bar
> 2 - navigate through the menus using the arrow keys
> 3 - use  the space key to simulate a mouse down
>
> Instead of navigating with the arrow key, you can type the name of the menu or menu item,
> in most of the cases, the first letters suffice. It is somehow less comfortable than assigning a shortcut to each menu item like windows does
> but it works as is with all the apps, including TeXworks of course.
>
> The problem is that the keystroke is also captured by the text window :
> 1 - open TeXworks
> 2 - press keys: Ctrl-F2 "F" "I" <space> "S" <space>
> This activates the Save command from the File menu.
> You see the problem in the untitled document where keys "F" "I" <space>  where captured such that it starts now with "fi ".
> This is an unexpected result solved by simply "undoing".
>
> I consider this a low level bug and I would not be surprised if it were a problem in Qt itself.

This sounds similar to issue 180
(http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=180) which was never
followed up on, however.
This seems to be some kind of problem with the keyboard focus. Normally,
the editor widget should only receive key events if it has the focus,
and should loose this focus if you navigate to the menubar. As it still
receives key events, apparently this never happens or is not processed
correctly.

Since I have neither any experience with Mac nor access to one, I can't
test any ideas and therefor can't help with any bug fixes here. But if
someone who managed to build Tw on Mac is willing to try a few things, I
could give some ideas.

Regards,
Stefan

PS: Some Qt menubar issues on the mac have recently been fixed
(http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-8698). I have no idea if
they are related to this issue, though.