[texworks] Script: QtWebKit Module - "bridge JavaScript ... Qt object model " (branched from Questions about the API)

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 01:48:51 CEST 2010

On 14 April 2010 13:19, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
> On 14 April 2010 Paul A Norman wrote:
>
>  > I'm getting a bit hopeful here ...
>  >
>  > >> AFAIK, Qt can in principal display HTML (e.g. inside a label, text edit,
>  > >> etc.). This is currently not exposed to the scripts. However, I don't
>  > >> think it would be of much use as there is no easy way to communicate
>  > >> with the html objects. So you could design a nice interface, but you
>  > >> wouldn't get any of the user's input. But I'll have to look into this a
>  > >> little more, maybe there is a way.
>  > >>
>  >
>  > >I had some idea there was some sort of Qt  HTML module mentioned once
>  > >- but I know absolutely nothing about it - found this on a search
>  > >today
>  >                 http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtwebkit.html
>  >
>  > I can see how this could possibly give us a
>  >           1. really good detailed internal help system for packages
>  > and commands
>
> A help system is certainly appreciated.  I think that if people ask
> for documentation about a particular package, texdoc should be used,
> but if they don't know which package supports what they need, it's
> quite helpful to have an interface to Robin's FAQ.

Robin's FAQ can be accessed online from an application  constructing a
simple http:.. request string with the key word as part of it, but
better worked against a searchable table's index of available
contents.

We've adapted the Visual FAQ to work offline, and an offline (for
where there is no available/affordable Internet)  toc searchable
version of Robin's FAQ. (See earlier postings here.)

CTAN is one of the best spots for finding packages if people are not
sure beyond Robin's FAQ what to use for what or anything exotic.  That
can also be displayed more directly in an applications webkit window,
and we also adapted last September's version of CTAN for off-line
usage.