[texworks] Script to install packages on-the-fly

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Apr 12 20:01:18 CEST 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 12 avr. 2010 à 19:13, Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>
>> Thanks for all the replies. I take it since there were no bug reports
>> that the script works for everyone using TeXLive/MacTeX?
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> I didn't test it on the Mac, since by default MacTeX installs the full TeX Live and there's TeX Live Utility (a Mac front-end to tlmgr) which can be used to update the whole thing, either globally of by package, and to manage the installation/uninstallation of individual packages and handle dependencies. I run TLU everyday, I don't know whether it can be scheduled to update Tex Live automatically at given time intervals.
>
> I don't know which proportion of Mac users choose to install a basic TeX Live and update it as needed afterwards, rather than go by the default which is to install everything from the start. I would say not many, since with the current size of hard drives 2 GB, which is about the size of the full TeX Live, no longer feels that much. It's about the same size as one HD episode of LOST, say, from iTunes, and I'd be ashamed to tell how many of them I've on my hard drive or external backups ;-)
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

I think it's more about bandwidth for the download than disk space any more.

I know we've had several, not many, inquiries about adding packages to the BasicTeX (~85MB) package for Mac that is available via <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/morepackages.html>.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)