[texworks] Script to install packages on-the-fly

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Apr 10 12:15:36 CEST 2010

Stefan Löffler wrote:

>> - miktex has already on-the-fly installation built in, I guess it would
>>   be better to activate that one
>>

> Oh, so this is a miktex feature? I always thought it's a feature of the
> respective editors or possibly of some specially geared dlls. As I wrote
> on the GC issue page, the miktex support is limited in that it can't
> search the whole fndb in a feasible amount of time. So this would
> certainly be an alternative. Now I just have to figure out how to enable
> it ;).

The MiKTeX options dialog gives users a choice of whether to download
packages automatically if required, ask permission first, or not
download.  If I recall correctly, the default is to ask first.  This
function has always worked well for me.  I think "ask first" is the best
setting, since it does take a while to get the packages and update the
database--having given permission, I know why compilation stops and that
it will resume in due course--or I can deny permission if I am in a big
rush and want to deal with the missing package later.

David