[texworks] Version string

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:58:17 CET 2010

On 9 Mar 2010, at 14:51, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

> Hi.
>
> 2010/3/9 Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com>:
>> As Jonathan elaborated in the previous post, your assumption was not
>> correct. There is a script getSvnRev.sh which updates src/SvnRev.h, but
>> it's not called automatically during the build process. This is because
>> shell scripts are not supported on all platforms (Windows). Besides,
>> calling this automatically would make packaging a lot more difficult,
>> seeing that for packaging you often export your svn working copy to a
>> static version for which any svn commands would fail. But if you create
>> a script "update" with the content "svn up && ./getSvnRev.sh && qmake &&
>> make" things should work smoothly for you.
>
> Well, then before 'src/SvnRev.h' was updated with each(?) commit.

Unfortunately not; it's always been a bit erratic. I really should try to organize this better.

> May
> be remove 'src/SvnRev.sh' from svn _and_ run 'getSvnRev.sh' when qmake
> run on appropriate platform?

But then what happens to someone who gets the code from svn but is not able to run a shell script, or uses "svn export" (which should result in a buildable source tree)?

> P.S. As I build texworks with the help of PKGBUILD (part of Archlinux
> package system) then it is not so difficult to update 'src/SvnRev.h'
> using it.

If you're in such an environment, that's probably the best thing to do for now.

JK