[texworks] Typesetting to a postscript file (not to PDF)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Sat Dec 26 20:47:37 CET 2009

Le 26 déc. 2009 à 15:02, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> What might work is to "print" the xelatex-generated PDF to a PS file using, for example, a ghostscript-based tool (I don't know exactly what's available within miktex, or other Windows-based packages), and then re-distill this with Acrobat. (Though I suspect things like hyperlinks may not survive this procedure.)

pdftops (from xpdf) generally yields better quality PS output than pdf2ps (from Ghostscript). In particular, Ghostscript transforms Type 1 fonts into bitmaps when converting from PDF to PS, while xpdf doesn't. See <http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/>.

I just tried and confirms fonts are treated properly by pdftops and bitmapped by pdf2ps. In both cases, as Jonathan anticipated, hyperlinks are lost.

There is also the excellent epspdf which allows back-and-forth conversion between EPS and PDF and may be configured to use either Ghostscript or xpdf. epspdftk is a GUI to it. See <http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/>. It's partly included in TeX Live already, though it's not very clear to me what exactly is included and what must added. In TeX Live 2009, the doc is at texmf-dist/doc/support/epspdf.

I looked at the Windows installation instructions at http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/>, but being a Mac user I could not figure out exactly how installation works. I have the impression there's a setup installer program which detects the TeX setup and, if MikTeX is found, offers installation of xpdf as an option, but I'm not sure.

Bruno Voisin