[texworks] Compilation with error in encoding T1

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:40:11 CET 2009

Am 2009-12-16 15:33, schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> On 16 December 2009 Stefan Löffler wrote:
>
>  > Am 2009-12-16 14:43, schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
>  > > On 16 December 2009 Stefan Löffler wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > It looks like LaTeX is not finding the file H:\Miktex
>  > >  > portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def.
>  > >
>  > > It is found and read.  From the log file:
>  > >
>  > > ("H:\Miktex portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def"
>  > > File: t1enc.def 2005/09/27 v1.99g Standard LaTeX file
>  > > LaTeX Font Info:    Redeclaring font encoding T1 on input line 43.
>  > > )
>  > >
>  > > The problem obviously occurs later.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Yeah, you're right. My fault.
>  > But if I understand those LaTeX messages correctly, the error occurs
>  > while LaTeX is still parsing fontenc.sty, right?
>
> Doesn't the closing brace mean that the file is closed?  Then there is
> nothing wrong with fontenc.sty.

Yeah, but the closing brace is for t1enc.def. fontenc.sty had an open
brace, but no closing brace yet. That's what led me to this idea.

>    miktex-pdftex.exe: Read operation failed.
>
> doesn't look like a TeX error message.  There must be something else
> than a missing or corrupt file.  Maybe a corrupt filesystem which
> causes miktex-pdftex.exe to crash, or, less likely, a permission
> problem.  I would first try:
>
>    type /path/to/babel.sty
>
> If the file can be opened, ask on the MikTeX mailing list what causes
> this error message.  It looks like a low level IO error.

Agreed.

> You get such low level IO errors if you run TeX from a scratched DVD.
> The device driver will not pass a data block to the OS if it's invalid.
> Sometimes it helps to clean the DVD...

He did mention something about using MikTeX portable, which could
indicate such a problem (which could probably also occur if you have a
bad sector on your USB device or whatever).

Regards,