[texworks] Compilation with error in encoding T1

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:39:40 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 2009-12-16 12:35, schrieb Lambas Pérez Jesús:
> Hi,
>
> I'm compiling with a MikTex portable the example of 'A short manual
> for Texworks'
>
> /\documentclass{article}/
>
> /\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}/
>
> /\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}/
>
> /\usepackage{geometry}/
>
> /\geometry{a4paper}/
>
> /\usepackage[spanish]{babel}/
>
> /\title{Primer documento}/
>
> /\author{Un TeXnicien}/
>
> /\date{Un TéXnico}/
>
> /\begin{document}/
>
> /\maketitle/
>
> /¡Escribí un texto acentuado en español!/
>
> /\end{document}/
>

> and the next error occurs
>
> /[...]/
>
> /("H:\Miktex portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def")miktex-pdftex.exe:
> Read operation failed./

It looks like LaTeX is not finding the file H:\Miktex
portable\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def. So the first question is: does this
file exist? If not, you're probably missing some packages.
In any case, did you succeed in compiling other (simpler) documents? A
minimal example would be:
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello World.