[texworks] ubuntu jaunty package and texlive 2009

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:00:49 CET 2009

Hi,

On 2009-12-14 16:24, Alessandro Languasco wrote:
> I would like to install texworks using the package available for ubuntu jaunty
> and, as a dependence, synaptic wish to install texlive 2007...
> but I have already installed texlive 2009 and I don't want to downgrade to tl2007.
>
> Do you have any suggestion to force the texworks installation via synaptic without any dependencies
> on the tex packages?

Which Tw package are you talking about? If you are referring to the one
from Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ppa), I think I
can help you (since I'm the maintainer of that package ;)). It doesn't
list texlive as a dependency, only as a recommendation. This is exactly
to allow people to use a newer (unpackaged) version of texlive, but at
the same time provide novice users with an easy possibility to get
everything up and running.
If this applies to your case, your synaptic apparently wants to install
recommended packages by default. You may be able to change this in the
preferences. As an alternative, you could use the command line tool
apt-get, which should have the switch --no-install-recommends. So in
that case, you could try running
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texworks
(provided you added the Tw Launchpad repository to your sources as
described on the Launchpad site).

HTH