[texworks] Latex->PS -> PDF

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 3 17:09:41 CET 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 7:41 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> Yes. This is on a Windows machine that I need help.
>
> D.
>
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Le 2 déc. 2009 à 22:56, David Arnold a écrit :
>>
>>> We have some pstricks graphs in some files. The files will compile using the Latex->PS->PDF option in Texniccenter.
>>>
>>> How can we set up an engine in Texworks to accomplish the same thing?
>>
>> If you're on Mac OS X or Linux that should be easy using the simpdftex script. You just have to create a new processing tool in TeXworks, namely
>>
>> <Capture d’écran 2009-12-02 à 23.21.35.png>
>>
>> I called mine dviLaTeX, but the name is arbitrary.
>>
>> On Windows I don't know whether there exists a similar script. IIRC TeXnicCenter is a windows program, meaning this is your case?
>>
>> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I have zero knowledge about Windows but someone should be able to adapt the latexmk work I've done for TeXShop on the Mac to use it with TeXworks. I've been able to do that on the Mac.

You can get the stuff I've put together for TeXShop as Latexmk411TeXShop.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>. The relevant files will be pdflatexmkrc, xelatexmkrc and latexmkrc in the directory of files to be placed in TeXShop/bin which contain the configuration information for latexmk (I'm pretty sure it is [now?] part of MikTeX --- certainly TeX Live) for the pdflatex, xelatex and latex engines; I have no idea where to place these where they are easily found under Windows. The files pdflatexmk.engine, xelatexmk.engine and latexmk.engine files are shell scripts of the latexmk calling sequence the corresponding script in TeXworks. You'll have to put in the correct parth to the `rc' file of course.

The latexmk script will not only take you through the sequence of latex->dvips->ps2pdf (so automate the simple processing) but also run bibtex, makeindex, etc. and re-run (xe/pdf)latex the right number of times to resolve all the cross-references.

I'm sure some of the talented folks on this list can do the adaption.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)