[texworks] Questions about encoding

Ignasi Furió ignasi.furio at uib.cat
Fri Nov 6 11:48:08 CET 2009

Hi all,

I've been using WinEdt for years and now I'm starting to use TeXworks.
With WinEdt I used ISO-8859-1 so when an old .tex file is openened with
TeXworks all accented characters are wrong. I have two options, first one
is two change TeXworks encoding, close and reopen TeXworks. Second one is
insert "!TeX encoding=latin1" in all files, but this change must be done
with the correct encoding in TeXworks (or with another editor) because the
file will be saved with the selected encoding and I've no option to change
it while saving the file.

I've seen an issue about this question in TeXworks page so I would like to
know how is people solving this problem.

Should I work only with latin1 encoding and forget UTF8 because I mainly
write in catalan and spanish? Should I tend to change to UTF8? Why?

Any comment will be wellcome.

Best reagrds,

Ignasi

Ignasi Furió Caldentey
Universitat de les Illes Balears
Escola Politècnica Superior
Dep. Matematiques i Informatica
Cra. Valldemossa, km. 7,5. 07071-Palma. SPAIN
tel: (34) 971.173.196    fax: (34) 971.173.003
e-mail: ignasi dot furio at uib dot cat
http://www.uib.cat