[texworks] Error in the translation files

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:26:25 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-09-12 18:04, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2009-09-12 15:14, Alain Delmotte wrote:
>>   Hm, curious. I suppose the translation files are modified (at least
>> now). Could you revert them to their original version (the one in the
>> repository)? The command for it should be `svn revert trans/`, though I
>> don't know if svn supports reverting all files in a directory (if not,
>> please revert at least the italian .ts file). Sometimes this could help.
>> If it doesn't, could you please post the first few lines of the italian
>> .ts file (or the whole file)? This new error message you mention seem
>> much more helpful than the old one, but now the question is what really
>> is in that file.
>>
> OK, it is not necessary; this is a local problem.
> I have a folder in which I make the updates from the repository; but
> the files are not only updated, but also saved as backup (at least I
> think), so I have for example:
> TeXworks_fr.ts
> TeXworks_fr.ts.mine
> TeXworks_fr.ts.r322
> TeXworks_fr.ts.r328
> At the beginning of the _it.ts there is "<<<<<<<<<< .mine" = the error
> But I copied the _it.ts files not the others!! (I keep the original
> updates far from the place where I compile :-)) )
>
> Now I do not understand why these files are created! And why the
> updated .ts is modified this time and not before!

I think I can help you with this. It's a feature, not a bug ;).
Normally, svn merges any changes to the repository into your files when
you run `svn update`. This often even works if you have changed your
local files as well (similar to the patch utility). Sometimes, however,
svn can't merge the changes. In this case it creates a so called
conflict (it should also tell you so, btw) and some files that should
help you resolve that conflict. These files are:
.mine your current version
.r322 the latest "official" revision in the repository that all your
files are based on
.r328 the new version as it is in the repository (and couldn't be merged
into your working copy automatically)

There are special markers (like the one you noticed) that should make it
easy for you to find the places where the conflicts occurred. But of
course they also screw up your file. The normal procedure would be to
either call `svn revert`, thereby scrapping all your changes and
continuing with the latest "official" version, or to modify
TeXworks_fr.ts in order to merge the changes, and then call `svn resvole
TeXworks_fr.ts` to tell svn that you dealt with the problem.
In your case, given that the files are rather old, you'd probably want
to backup the files (in case there's something in it you need later on)
and then run `svn revert` to continue with the latest repository code.

For more information, see the SVN red book at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html

HTH