[texworks] Error in the translation files

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 10:38:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-09-11 17:28, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> I downloaded the release 416 and compiled it with mingw (as usual as
> base, print, lua and all subversions) and wanted to update the French
> translation.
> So, for example for the all subversion, I went to the folder having
> all the files and issued on the console:
>
> lupdate texworks.pro
>
> There were errors during lupdating.
> See the attached file: the error log. Some other languages had the
> same problem, but not all; example the german, not.
> It is also the case for the files from the distribution (in the base
> subversion, it looks like there are 2 entries untranslated, 12 for the
> all subversion).

I'm a bit confused with your versions at the moment. I used `lupdate
TeXworks.pro` (with lupdate version 4.5.0) on the code as it is in the
repository (that would be your "base", right?) and I didn't get any
errors in the translations. I did get some strange messages, though:
Once
[...]/texworks/trunk/TeXworks.pro(42):Project MESSAGE: Unable to
determine TeX path, guessing defaults
This seems to be related to getDefaultBinPaths.sh, though I have no idea
why this should ever be called when updating the translation files.
BTW: I noticed the lines
unix {
        system(bash ./getDefaultBinPaths.sh):warning("Unable to
determine TeX path, guessing defaults")
}
in TeXworks.pro. In the light of recent discussions about bash,
shouldn't this read "system(sh ./get...)" or omit the explicit
invocation of the shell altogether, given that the executable flag of
the file is set?

Anyway, back to the lupdate issues. Next, I get numerous
Unknown feature
http://qtsoftware.com/xml/features/report-whitespace-only-CharData
errors. I have no idea if the problem is in my Qt installation or in the
files, but I couldn't find any more information about it (the given
webpage doesn't exist, and I couldn't find the word "whitespace" in any
relevant context in any of the project files).

The rest of the lupdate procedure seemed to work fine, though. It even
gave me several
Same-text heuristic provided n translation(s)
messages. Whether these translations are correct I can't say.

So, Alain, did you experience your problems with the base system as
well, or just with the customized ones (if so: with which)?

-Stefan