[texworks] Linux Application Bundle of TeXworks released

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 8 23:01:27 CEST 2009

On 8 September 2009 Jonathan Kew wrote:

 > On 8 Sep 2009, at 14:47, Stefan Löffler wrote:
 >
 > > Regarding the subpixel rendering patch to poppler: unfortunately, it
 > > doesn't look particularly good on the example document I tried. See
 > > the
 > > attached screenshot for a comparison between the unpatched build
 > > (left)
 > > and your version (right). The characters seem a bit bolder (which was
 > > what you intended, if I understood you correctly), but they also
 > > look a
 > > bit larger.
 >
 > Yes, they do, but in general they look better-formed than the original
 > rather spindly rendering (IMO).
 >
 > > My main concern, however, is the boxes produced by hyperref.
 > > While they appear as thin, well-spaced boxes on the left, they have
 > > thick lines and too little spacing on the right. But this is just my
 > > personal taste.
 >
 > I definitely agree that the hyperref link outlines are a problem. I
 > wonder if it would be possible to use Cairo options such that the text
 > would be improved without affecting the lines in this way.
 >
 > (In any case, it would be good to look at a wider variety of examples,
 > using both CM and other fonts.)

CM fonts are spindly by design, it has nothing to do with rendering.
They had always been problematic.  People had been happy with them
when they used 300 dpi printers and regarded them as being too thin
when 600 dpi printers came up.  But they were designed so
deliberately and I don't think that rendering software should try to
"fix" them.

The version on the left side of Stefan's screenshot looks much better
than the other one.  It looks like Computer Modern.

I think that a previewer should display things as they are (WYSIWYG).

Don't take CM as a measure, they are not designed in order to be
displayed on low-res screens.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25