[texworks] TeXworks and Ubuntu 8.10

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:56:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-08-21 01:55, Greg Bennett wrote:
> Good evening all. I have a spot of difficulty getting TeXworks
> via Martin's package for Ubuntu.

Just to point this out: Martin Sievers' Tw package doesn't seemed to be
maintained anymore (the last working version was 252, and we're holding
at 396 right now). I have created an alternate package repository at
https://launchpad.net/~texworks/+archive/ppa, though (containing working
versions for all currently maintained Ubuntu releases, plus Alain's manual).

> I added the deb http://... to the end of /etc/apt/sources.list
> and started the package manager. It was unhappy:
>
> W:GPG Error: http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy Release.
> The following signaturres couldn't be verified because the
> public key is not available:
> NO-PUBKEY ED53EEE353C62D85

Ubuntu wants you to trust the respositories you install packages from.
There's an explanation of how to do it on the package archive page on
launchpad - just click on "Read about installing".

The short version for installing texworks from my repository:
Add the line
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/texworks/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
to your /etc/apt/sources.list, then run the following commands in a
terminal window:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CDF2E7E8
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install texworks
(the first line tells Ubuntu that you trust the packages from that
repository; the second line just updates the list of packages and
installs texworks - you can do that via Synaptic as well).

HTH
Stefan

PS @Jonathan: I'd appreciate it if you could update the link on the
building page.